October 18, 2007

How many gay Jewish Amy Grant fans are there?

I’ve been a secret Amy Grant fan since high school. Originally I started listening to Amy Grant as a way to piss off my father. Even though my family is Jewish, I’ve always been drawn to Christian things. Part of this is because the woman who raised me, Kay, (also known as the cleaning lady) is an Assembly of God church member. That’s a rather strict religion. Kay went to school in Minnesota with Jim and Tammy Faye Baker. Kay used to take me to church every Wednesday night.

Another reason I was always drawn to Christian things growing up is because I grew up in Minnesota. There were Jews there somewhere, but I never found any as a kid. I used to want to be Christian and have Christmas and be blonde and all the stuff the goyim have. I still feel that way, except I no longer want to be blonde.

I was drawn to Amy’s album “Lead Me On”. It’s still a great album and I think it’s the best selling Christian album of all time (or something close to that). It’s full of questioning and deep feeling. There’s a song called “Faithless Heart” where Amy thinks about having an affair. “Lead Me On” talks about slavery and the holocaust.
I also love her 1997 “Behind the Eyes” album. I come back to that album a lot. It’s an album about depression and difficult times. Amy is a very honest writer and never shies away from the darker themes.

I’m reading Amy’s new memoir “Mosaic”. It’s a pretty interesting read.

I wonder how many gay Jews are fans of Amy Grant? I’d love to know. I’ve googled “gay Jewish Amy Grant fans” but nothing ever comes up on the subject. What a surprise. I think I might start a gay Jewish Amy Grant fan group on Myspace.

I am posting one of my favorite Amy Grant songs “After The Fire” from her 2003 album “Simple Things”. It’s a song in which I find great comfort, as I do with many of Amy’s songs.

Amy Grant---After the Fire

http://www.zshare.net/audio/43077091cc3b93

There will be many voices calling.

Mine will say welcome home.”

No comments: