October 30, 2007

Sometimes I think I’m only staying alive for TV shows to be released on DVD.

Today I received two great DVDs from Amazon. They are two of my favorite TV shows, Twin Peaks and My So Called Life. Of course they were both out of print, so this year I bought them both for a lot of money on Ebay and then like five minutes later it was announced that they were both being released on DVD again with all kinds of special features. Now if only “thirtysomething” would finally come out on DVD, I’d be so happy. Sometimes I think I’m only staying alive for TV shows to be released on DVD.

Today I am supposed to be working from home, so I’m at a café, writing. I’m glad the café I’m at is not crowded like usual. Every place you go in LA, no matter what time of day it is, is crowed, just like the freeways. What really bugs me is that even when a café is very crowded, people in LA will still take up two tables. One table for their laptops and one table for their belongings. People in LA are either clueless or just don’t care about other people or both.

Last night, as I was trying to sneak out from work, my new coworker (it was her second day) told me she had some questions and that she’d like to speak to me after work. I asked her if she wanted to go for coffee. When we were trying to leave, her car wasn’t starting up. She was very low on gas, so she took out a gas can from her backseat and proceeded to check if there was any gas left by opening it and turning it upside down. Gasoline spilled out onto her hands and my shoes. I thought that was a very odd way to check if there was any gas left.

Once we got her car filled and working we went to a cafe that was trying to close in Santa Monica. Every time we sat down, we were told to move. First we were inside the café,, but the café worker told us they were closing, so we moved outside and then he came outside and said he has to move the tables inside, so we sat on a bench and continued our conversation. After a little while, the guy from the café told us to move again because the sprinklers were about to go off. We almost got wet, but we got up in time. All in all, it was a weird evening.

I knew that this new coworker was wondering about the weird things at the job and primarily our weird and mean boss. I said to her, “I bet you want to know just how crazy he is.” She said she did want to know, so I told her all the crazy stories and how I think our boss is kind of bipolar and that he has narcissistic personality disorder (which he matched the criteria when I looked it up in the DMS-IV).

I told her that today had been a good day because he was actually wearing a shirt during the workday. (We work in his home so he likes to keep things casual). I told her not to go near the hammock in the backyard, not to sit in it and certainly not to sit in it with the boss. I told her that’s why the marketing director isn’t here anymore. (It’s a long story). I basically told her not to engage the boss in any chit chat and to try to look busy no matter what she was doing and to redirection him when he gets mad at her.

She told me she wasn’t sure if she was going to continue working for him. I told her that I felt the same, but I was happy to finally have someone to talk to at work. I told her how I fantasized about quitting and how I daydream all the time about the boss firing me so I can be free.

But all of that doesn’t matter right now. I am going to Austin tomorrow. I am going there to see if I might want to move there. I’ve planned some stuff to do and met some people online, but I don’t know a soul there yet. I will be there for six days. I will spend all my time there exploring the city and pretending to myself that I live there. I dream about leaving LA everyday. I think about it quite a lot. I’m not sure what I’ll do if I don’t like Austin. Maybe I’ll find some place else. There’s got to be more to life than waiting for TV shows to be released on DVD.

Today’s song is Sarah Brightman with “Deliver Me’. I picked this song because I need to be delivered to someplace else…FAST.

Sarah Brightman—Deliver Me
http://www.zshare.net/audio/4516572c5af93b

No comments: