September 16, 2007

Whatever happened to Soon-Yi?

When I was about 12 my mother decided that she wanted to adopt a 12 year-old Korean girl. She said that this girl would be a good companion for me (I’m an only child) and a great free housekeeper for her.

Even then I knew this was a bad idea, so I redirectioned her by suggesting that she get some miniature horses instead of the girl. She became very interested in miniature horses but I had to redirection her again because I realized it was not a good idea to have a bunch of miniature horses in our suburban backyard, not enough room for the horses.

I told her that instead of miniature horses she should get new carpet. I hated our brown carpeting in the house, so she got new white carpet. That kept her busy for a long time because she ended up having to replace the carpet with better carpet when the new carpet starting falling apart. I remember the first time my father came home after the carpet had been changed throughout the house from brown to white, it took him awhile to notice the change. My mother used to say that if she grew a pecker from her head, my father would never notice. Yeah, he's really not that observant.

Last weekend when I went to visit my mother I had to once again talk her out of getting an Iphone. She had already got one and returned it, but now she wanted one again. I didn’t want to have to be her Iphone support (I’m not Apple), so I redirected her by telling her to instead get an internet wifi card for her laptop. She seemed to like that and forgot all about the Iphone.

She and I will sometimes talk about that Korean girl and where she’d be if my mother adopted her. We refer to her as Soon-Yi. We figured that Soon-Yi would be super pissed since my parents divorced a few months after they got new carpet. I wonder where Soon-Yi is now.

Today’s song is from Tuck and Patti, one of my mother’s favorite groups and mine too. It’s a 1988 cover of the Cyndi Lauper song “Time After Time”. It’s a very uplifting song.

The song:
http://www.zshare.net/audio/3691066149ab5e

The video:
http://www.ifilm.com/video/2791423

The video is a beautifully shot black and white video. I love the way Tuck looks at Patti. They make a sweet couple. I’ve always wanted a boyfriend who would collaborate with me like Tuck does with Patti instead of always trying to work against me and trying to kill me.

Tuck and Patti’s website:
http://www.tuckandpatti.com/

No comments: